People base the essence of human strength on muscles. Scientifically, this is true since your body has more layers that grant it the power to carry heavy objects around. Aside from that, it also makes you healthier because of the heat it generates to burn fat.
Building muscles is a great outlet for mental health because of the endorphins that are released throughout your brain. With all of its benefits, muscle building or strength exercises are good for you in all aspects of your life. For that matter, here are some tips on how you can grow your muscles:
- Practise progressive overload
Progressive overload is the process of increasing your workout volumes through weight or repetitions. To let you understand further, here is an example:
- Your usual bicep curl consists of 5 kilograms of weight for 20 reps and 4 sets. To be in a progressive overload, you need to increase the weight to something that can make your muscles enter failure easily. With that in mind, you need to lessen the repetitions a bit so you can still execute proper movements.
With progressive overload, you are training your muscles to work harder and get accustomed to the heavier weights little by little. This, in turn, will increase your muscle density in the long run.
- Eat a lot of protein and stay hydrated
The favourite nourishment of muscles is protein, so make sure you eat a lot of foods that contain this nutrient. You can eat a plate full of chicken, beef and pork, then pair it with grains and vegetables of your choice. By giving your body quality and healthy food, your muscles can recover and grow faster than eating junk. That is why nutrition is also critical in muscle growth.
- Sleep for 7-9 hours for muscle recovery
You need ample time to sleep to let your body catch up with the amount of energy you exerted during strength training. Resting for 7-9 hours can improve your muscle recovery because your body has all the time to replenish the torn muscle fibres.
- Do active recovery exercises
Aside from proper sleep, improve recovery stimulation by doing light exercises. This includes yoga, stretching and walking. Doing any of these can assist with the recovery and remove soreness the next day. At the same time, your muscles get released from the tension they are in every time you stretch them out.
- Use workout supplements
Workout supplements also help with muscle growth because of the following:
- Whey is an additional protein that can help you reach your macros.
- Creatine helps your body produce more energy to do proper exercise repetitions.
- BCAA drinks can lessen muscle fatigue, which lets you do proper movements.